Sunday, June 3, 2012

Another Stool and Another Challenge

By now you probably know I have a soft spot in my heart for stools. I've rehabed wooden ones and metal ones.  I've put numbers on some, words on others.  So when my husband found this stool by a dumpster and brought it home, I was excited to see where it would take me.



See those white legs?  They're metal!
This has real potential.  The light-colored wooden seat spoke to me so I painted it ASCP Arles.  That color then spoke to me and I began to hunt for a bee graphic.  Where else to look for graphics than the Graphics Fairy!

I found the perfect one and needed to figure out how to transfer it to the seat.  Karen at the Graphics Fairy pointed me to this tutorial.  It seemed simple enough so I decided to try it.


You can read Katie's tutorial, but basically you glue the image to the stool and then wet the paper and rub it away, leaving the image intact.  I couldn't believe it as I began to rub the paper away and the image stayed behind!  One thing I learned was that the color of the image may change.  I printed mine out in brown because I thought it might go better with the yellow.  When I rubbed the paper away, the blue pigment went with it and I was left with a rusty red.  It works!  Just want to give you a heads-up because that might not be good on your project!

I brushed on a coat of wax and took it outside to dry.  That's when I discovered the "challenge."  


You see, this transfer method has you put a coat of glue on paper before you print your image and a coat of Mod Podge on the stool.  Then you put the image face down on the wet Mod Podge and leave it overnight.  What I discovered was that when I wet and rubbed away the paper, the Mod Podge stayed behind.  You can see it in the light (above).  


Here's the same shot taken from the other side of the stool.  Now you see it, now you don't!



Have you tried this transfer method?  Did you have the same issue??


Pin It
The Graphics FairyA Diamond in the Stuff

5 comments:

Twice Nice said...

Anything you can do to remove the mod podge? I love how this turned out, minus the mod podge I guess though! I'm going to have to check out this method, thanks for linking it up and testing it out!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I love that graphic! I've been wanting to try it on something. I have the transfer method bookmarked too, but have not used it yet. ... So now what?

Kim@todayismysome-day said...

I've been wanting to do something similar with a chair seat. And I thought about the citasolv method, but I was afraid it would discolor the AS Psint... Did the wetting of the paint affect the paint since it had dried? Sorry to be confusing :)

Donna Wilkes said...

I usually just go over the whole top with a coat of Matte Mod Podge, let it dry, then use a satin varnish to seal.

SaltAndPepperMakers said...

I transferred an image using this method too and it didn't work well for me at all. So with a bit of work I managed to rub/scrape the whole thing off again. Thankfully it didn't damage my pretty painted surface below it. I since went back to my method of carbon transfer and then painted an image on.