Sunday, February 26, 2012

Light the Way

When I find a piece of furniture that's seen better days, I can usually see what it can be.  But I think I've always taken lamps for granted.  They were what they were - take 'em or leave 'em.  Then I realized that the shade is actually a canvas.  It screams for creative expression.


I did this wordy lamp a few months ago.  You can read about it here.

Recently, my daughter found this awesome turquoise lamp at a thrift shop and thought I'd want to do something with it. Ummm, Yes!

So I started looking for a shade and found this cool one at Target.

The turquoise reminded me of road maps, so that's what I decided to use to cover the shade.  

First, I laid the shade on the map and rotated the shade to make sure the map would cover.  Kinda like flipping a box on gift wrap to make sure it will cover.  Then I traced the shade as I flipped it.

Next, I cut it out on the trace lines.  Notice it's not a straight rectangle because the shade itself slopes inward.

Then I taped it to the shade using painters tape, and used a razor blade knife to trim the map closer to the rolled edge of the shade.  I cut lightly so I didn't cut through the shade.

Then I used a spray adhesive and sprayed both the back of the map and the shade.  I tried to stay away from the rolled edges, since they  wouldn't be covered.  Then I simply stuck the map to the shade and smoothed out any bubbles.
Not bad, but I wanted to cover the raw edges of the paper.  Since I was afraid that finding a match for the turquoise might be hard, I decided to go with another color.  Orange or red?
I decided to go for red.

I put a thin bead of craft glue on the lamp and then glued the ribbon in place.

Voile!

Makes me wonder why I settled for boring lamps all these years!

Pin It

I've linked up to these amazing parties:





The Southern Institute
Boogieboard Cottage
Becolorful








Photobucket

HOGThree Mango Seeds
The 36th AVENUE
The Shabby NestFurniture Feature Fridays
Redoux

Whipperberry

21 comments:

Twice Nice said...

You know I love lampshades! This is so very, very cool.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That's really neat, Cyndi! I love how you trimmed it out, too!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Very cute! I love maps ! And the red ribbon is a nice finishing touch!

Pam Sumrall said...

I love your creative talent, and also your willingness to share the process...you make it look so EasY!!

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Welcome to BeColorful. I couldn't wait to come over and say hi and I am so glad that I did. This lamp project is just the kind of thing I crave. I am always looking for new ways to update a time worn or dated piece and this is a fantastic look.
Have a great week.
pam

MuseBootsi said...

I love maps as decor! What a great idea!

Good Time Charlie said...

Love any lamp transformations. And now I am going off to Pin it!

fiona anderson said...

Found you at Debbiedoos and now following.
Love the shade, you did such a neat job and I'm off to check out the other one you made over.

Athena said...

Great lamp redo! Feel free to link to the Success U Party at TheStuffofSuccess. I am your newest follower. Have a terrific week. Athena

Honey at 2805 said...

Great "map" lamp! Nice job! Has it only been 6 weeks? You are an ole pro by now!

Cyndi ✪ Blue Star said...

Thanks for the invite! I've linked and following, too!

Susanne said...

What a fun lamp. Nicely done!

Carrie @ lovely etc. said...

Love it! Turquoise and maps in one project - it doesn't get much better!

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

Cute! It looks so modern and fresh now! Thank you so much for linking this up to the "Cowgirl Up!" Linky party. I really appreciate your participation.

xo♥Linsey

Danielle said...

Love the shade. Great job!

Christine at DIY+FYI said...

Found you on Becolorful. This is such a cute lamp...would be perfect for a travel-themed room!

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Yes definitely. This is such a "worldly" look. :D Love it. Thanks for sharing your creative idea on Motivated Monday at beColorful
pam

aimee said...

wow i love anything with maps i saw you at the gunny sack, i would love for you to link up at http://twiggstudios.blogspot.com/2012/03/sunday-show-off-linky-party-4.html

i hope to see you there enjoy the rest of your weekend xxxxx

momto8 said...

Voile! wow...what a great idea!

Kimberly @ A Night Owl said...

hey there! LOVE this idea! featured you on my blog today, go check it out!
http://anightowlblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/pinning-going-global.html

kimberly :)

Bonnie and Trish @ Uncommon Designs said...

Looks amazing! Love the added map!! thank you for sharing at Uncommon! Bonnie :)